Netatalk

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:40:14 MST 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:48:00 -0500, Brogan Ross <broganross at mac.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>     I'm trying to get netatalk set up and running on my eMac which I
> injected with a little YDL 4.  So far I've spent a butt load of time
> trying to figure out to install it properly (cuz I'm pretty new to
> Linux).  Now I've gotten to the point of the Linux machine showing up in
> the Network browser on my Powerbook (OSX.3.8), but when I tell it to
> connect I get an error that says:  This file server is running on your
> machine.  Please access the volumes and files locally.
>
> I'm guessing this has something to do with the .AppleVolumes.default
> file, but I'm sure what I should do.
>
> The only other possibility I can think of is that netatalk is set up to
> connect to the Powerbook in the opposite direction.  If this is so, how
> would I go about doing that.  Like I said I'm pretty new to Linux.
> Could I just connect through Konqueror, or what??
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

You probably won't want to hear this but...

For me AppleTalk required no configuration whatsoever (YDL 4.0 (.0)).

I merely installed the netatalk package using yum and turned on atalk
using the redhat-config-network app (or whatever it is now). Then I
made sure that it's started at boot using the same network
configuration app (both steps are obvious) and now I can log-in into
my accounts on the YDL machine (username/password, clear text
password).

You can also (as I recently discovered ;) use netatalk to share files
between the "host computer" and MOL. Under Ubuntu (5.04 developer
version) I installed netatalk and Synaptic did all the hard work --
installed 1.64, activated it and inserted it into the boot sequence
(someday I ought to figure out how to configure network services in
Fedora/YDL and Debian/Ubuntu).

eric.