Request for Testers for YellowDog extras

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
Mon Mar 28 23:19:48 MST 2005

Richard June wrote:

>On Tuesday 29 March 2005 00:43, Andrew Zschetzsche wrote:
>

>>I have a few questions regarding the extras testing branch.
>>
>>1.  What is "testing"?  Is it that the program installs with out a hickup?
>>

>Testing is my branch of YDL extras. Bare minimum they build. Although I
>usually do try to verify that they at least start. Many of the packages are
>ports of fedora-extras packages.

I meant "what do you consider the act of testing a package", but that's
my fault.  I'm still a bit shaky, do _you_ verify that they start, or is
that the job of the me, the tester?  Basically, I want to know what I
should do, so I don't waste our time, or give back false info.

>>2.  Can regulars to the list submit binary rpm's?  And where?
>>

>No.

But we can suggest. :)  Thanks.

How does this sound.  What if I take a source tarball, make a source rpm
from it, and post that on some personal webspace of mine and the e-mail
you the link.  Then you can rebuild it, check it, and dump it into the
testing branch.

Is there a concern for product tampering in this situation? (In which
case, I totally understand the importance of denying any such offer of
the like.)

I'd like to help with the creation of packages, since that takes the
most time and effort, which most people are unwilling to give up (no
offense to anyone).