Request for Testers for YellowDog extras

Richard June rjune at bravegnuworld.com
Tue Mar 29 05:56:49 MST 2005

[random stuff clipped for brevity]
> I meant "what do you consider the act of testing a package", but that's
> my fault.  I'm still a bit shaky, do _you_ verify that they start, or is
> that the job of the me, the tester?  Basically, I want to know what I
> should do, so I don't waste our time, or give back false info.
I generally try to make sure the app at  least starts. but I can't guarentee
it. what we want are people that actually use the program(or want to) to
download it and *use* it. Tell us what problems they ran into, etc.

> >>2.  Can regulars to the list submit binary rpm's?  And where?
> >
> >No.
>
> But we can suggest. :)  Thanks.
>
> How does this sound.  What if I take a source tarball, make a source rpm
> from it, and post that on some personal webspace of mine and the e-mail
> you the link.  Then you can rebuild it, check it, and dump it into the
> testing branch.
That is *exactly* what we want.

> Is there a concern for product tampering in this situation? (In which
> case, I totally understand the importance of denying any such offer of
> the like.)
product tampering? not so much, people accidently not having a BuildRequires,
or having incompatible libs? Absolutely. Having a srpm gives it that one last
sanity check without really comprimising a whole lot in the way of turn
around time.

> I'd like to help with the creation of packages, since that takes the
> most time and effort, which most people are unwilling to give up (no
> offense to anyone).
It's also one of the most underappreciated.

--
Public Key available Here:
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/pubkey.asc