Firewire help, please...

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Mar 31 12:30:16 MST 2005

Hi Dylan:
I'll assume YDL 3 is working properly.  It does matter, in resolving
this particular problem, whether your hardware is Old World or New
World AND whether you are using BootX or yaboot.  The procedure to
address this kind of problem is different according to which kind of
hardware you are using.

However, after the above is determined you should as superuser run
cdrecord and discover whether cdrecord sees the DVD at all.  If
cdrecord cannot see the device, neither will the kernel.  The challenge
is to load the get the kernel to load the correct driver so that
cdrecord can see the device (as a just another device on the SCSI
chain) and THEN you should be able to use it.

Some background reading material is available at:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start/BootX+and+ide-scsi

and a reference leading to another website:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Updating+YDL/Doing+things+as+root/
A+referral+regarding+using+Modprobe%2C+Kerneld%2C+and+Insmod

When you get to http://www.linux-sxs.org./ make sure you read the links
listed in the Bedtime Reading section.  Of course, that website is
chock full of stuff, but it is not specific to YDL.  It is related to
Linux however and it may give you a different foundation than just what
is provided at the YDL FAQ site.

Should your system be New World you should be able to execute the
ide-scsi driver as superuser from the command line or perhaps more
convenient include the sequence "hda=ide-scsi" in a script or dot file
so that it is executed everytime you login.  Of course, you will
replace hda for whatever nomenclature your system utiliizes.

Best wishes....