Firewire help, please...

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Thu Mar 31 12:56:04 MST 2005

Dylan,

> Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:26:57 +0100
> From: Dylan <dylan at dylwaritsolutions.com>
>
> I have a Formac DVD-/+RW drive that connects via firewire.  I am trying
> to configure YDL 3.0 to connect to it, but to no avail.  Has anyone come
> across this or a similar problem?  Can anyone guide me to a fix?  If
> anyone can, it would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to get a FireWire DVD-RAM drive working under YDL 3.0.1,
for which it was necessary to rebuild the kernel to include a driver
for the type of FireWire card I have, set PCMCIA=yes in
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, correct a bug in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia
startup script, and run a script called rescan-scsi-bus.sh that I
found on the net.  I'm not sure whether any of this applies to you
because I don't know what sort of equipment you've got.  If you have
built-in FireWire, then probably none of it does, but if you're also
using a PCMCIA FireWire card let me know and I'll send you the gory
details.

Ray