[OT] Mac OS X: stop Folding@Home startup app in Terminal.app

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 15:41:50 MDT 2005

Mr. Horne:

You are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!

(I hope you do not mind I am CCing your answer to the Yellow Dog List,
because it might interest those many who tried to help me.)

John Horne wrote:
> I saw your post while searching for a solution to the
> very same problem. I was rather frustrated that I could
> no longer use Terminal. Some people were very close to
> the solution, but nothing that fixed it directly for
> me. I figured it out though. I had to use the terminal
> in X11 to do this, so if you don't have X installed,
> i'm not sure how you would do this. Nonetheless, from
> some terminal, type:
>
> defaults read com.apple.Terminal "ExecutionString"
>> this should return something like (in my case it was):
> /Users/john/Desktop/fah4; exit
>> culprit found!
>> so we type (exactly. note the two single quotes at the
>> end, not a double-quote):
> defaults write com.apple.Terminal "ExecutionString" ''
>> this blanks the execution string and everything is
>> back to normal.

I repeat: you are a genius. That worked like a treat the first time.
Fantastic!

> So glad someone else had the same problem. I only
> figured out the solution from reading the most recent
> post and navigating the default info. I didn't know
> where OSX stored all that info.

Yes, Apple has quite successfully hidden that information in an
"unusual" (to a Linux/bash mind) location. (Why do they persist in doing
that sort of thing?)

> Hope this helps and ends some of your frustration. Cheers.

It certainly has. Thanks, again!

Best wishes,
Clint