Minor problem : Pine colors

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed May 4 16:27:27 MDT 2005

On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:57:54 -0400, beartooth wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:15:20 -0700, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 May 2005 12:43:38 -0400, beartooth wrote:
>>
>>> I'd try just replacing the .pinerc with one from Fedora -- YDL4 is
>>> essentially FC2 ported to Apple hardware -- but the confounded iBook has
>>> no floppy drive!
>>
>> Why not just transfer the file over Ethernet?
>
> Attach it to an email and mail it to myself, you mean? I don't have a homw
> LAN -- I'm not savvy enough to set one up.

The simplest form of home LAN is an ordinary Ethernet cable with one end
plugged into the iBook and the other into the Fedora box. (Some people
will tell you about "crossover cables" but you don't need to know anything
about that when the hardware on one end is an iBook.) The tricky part in
such a case would be to give both Ethernet ports an IP address under Linux.

>>> I don't fancy myself at burning CDs under any linux. If I manage to
>>> get a usable one with the .pinerc on it, is the iBook going to be able
>>> to read it? I notice that Fedora when formatting a floppy gives a
>>> choice of several file systems; is there something like that for CDs?
>>
>> You don't "format" a CD. Under Linux, you usually use mkisofs to create
>> a CD image, and it has loads of different commandline options you can
>> use.
>
> Well, until I got rid of it, OSX of evil memory used to greet every new
> CD by asking me if I wanted to format it. So I let it do a few, to have
> handy, like formatted floppies. And now they're all coasters, afaict :
> linux doesn't even recognize that there's anything in the drive when I
> put one in and try to mount it.

System Preferences:CDs & DVDs controls what happens when you insert a
blank CD under OSX. If you have that set to "Open Finder" (yeah, right,
like that's intuitive), what happens is that a RAM disk is created for you
to put stuff on, and when you eject, that stuff is burned to CD. It sounds
like you just burned a few CDs with no files on them.