Aw: Re: [slightly OT & long] PPPoE iptables NAT

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Fri May 6 08:25:02 MDT 2005

Hi all,

first thanks a lot for your replies...

> I couldn't agree with you more.  I used to believe that I had to save
> all old hardware from landfills.  I set up an old PC250Mhz with
> smoothwall - http://www.smoothwall.org/ - as a gateway firewall.  It
> worked great.  Then winter came and my electricity bill was getting
> out of hand.  Without going into extreme detail, computers use a lot
> of electricity compared to a DSL modem and a router/ firewall with
> NAT.

Well, the G4 as depicted in the original message is actually my destop machine... It is usually running, so there is no need to have just an other box for routing as Linux *should* be able to do that - it was possible with ISDN, and MacOS X does it perfectly!

> > My experiences with using a computer as a gateway to the Internet
> > for a
> > home network have taught me that it can be done, but why would you
> > want
> > to. It's not very efficient, and is a waste of a compute resource.

Well, the "small net" behind is actually a eMac, sometimes an iBook and a printer.. not much traffic there!

> > The simplest solution is use a router that performs NAT as your
> > gateway:
[snipped ASCII art]

See above - imho, this is more complicated.