Aw: Re: [slightly OT & long] PPPoE iptables NAT

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Fri May 6 08:29:45 MDT 2005

> I concur with all of this - although my network topology does include
> a computer thats routing packets between my wireless networks and my
> older computers - including my 1997 Powermac...
>
> Setting up NAT on a computer is painful. PPPoE NAT is even harder -
> which is why the decent ISP's (all bar one) give real routers over
> here

Hmmm, can you be more specific here? As I said, I *had* nat running perfectly with the old isdn connection (and it's working with MacOS X's natd, too).

The point is: why is ppp0 (adsl) different from ippp0 (isdn) from the kernel's pov, so why did the latter work, but dsl doesn't with the sampe setup?

Cheers, Albrecht.