Correcting computer time using ntpdate & ntp

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat May 7 12:23:21 MDT 2005

Hello, I've got a server that likes to loose 30 to 60 seconds each
week. I'm trying to get ntpd working but haven't had much success.

I tried uncommenting the server line in /etc/ntp.conf and changing the
URL to ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca before running ntpd from the command line and
it doesn't do much.

I've now tried a very simple /etc/ntp.conf file:
server ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca

As suggested by the ntp website and that doesn't work.

(I wait a few mintues, checking system time using 'date' and ntp
activity with ntpstat)

However, if I run either
ntpdate ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca

or

ntpd -qd

The date is updated to the correct time.

Should ntpd -q be run as a cron job? Seems a little strange for a
daemon to run as a cron job.

Anyone have experience with ntpd?

Eric.