OT - Care to share your opinion?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun May 8 20:20:58 MDT 2005

Greetings to Mr. Page & the rest of the gang:
My own background includes a deep interest in computing, the sciences,
and mathematics from a personal (hobby) perspective together with
nearly 20 years of experience with various OS's, including various
flavors of unix, in the real IT world.  I am also considering a
graduate program but it unifies computer programming with
biological/chemical research.  Also I've been involved with Linux for a
njumber of years (including Red Hat and YDL) and about a month ago
received cash so that I could purchase whatever system I wished.  I
chose a 1.67GHz 15" G4 Powerbook with 1 GB RAM and 64 MB Video RAM and
an 80 GB HD.  This choice was intentional and not a "next best" choice.

Recall that Altivec allows 128bit processing whereas other competing
architectures are not even ready for true 64bit processing and one sees
why the G4 and G5 series are the only games in town in serious
programming and research.  If one is not afflicted with laziness one
can write whatever tools one needs and there is no reason to use
processors (such as Intel, AMD and the like) whose purpose is to
address more general and less demanding scientific analytic procedural
processes.

Everyone knows that the desktop models and G5s are extensible in
various ways what is unique about this model Powerbook is that there
are three and probably other hardware extensions to it's base design.
The RAM maxes at 2GB, the Video RAM at 128 MG, and the HD at 100 GB!

Choosing carefully, I got the PB, Tech Tools Pro by Micromat, and had
enough cash left over to purchase a Haliburton suitcase to protect the
PB.
The case protects the PB against the variances of weather including
heat, water vapor and condensation; none of which other carrying
arrangements do as well, in comparison.  You did mention about making
the PB last...so if you wish to do it right remember your physics!  The
fact that others do not is evident in what others have complained about
regarding the failures they discovered with the equipment under their
care.

One more thing...you will get along perfectly fine with using
OpenOffice.org as opposed to what one unamed participant in this list
has called MS (spit) Office... he is not alone, as I also have been
quite creative in submitting my own modifications to that name.

Discussion regarding OS X and YDL.

OS X via the Terminal has access to bash, tcsh, csh, sh; I have not
played with all of them, but I have moved between them and each shell
behaves as it should in any other unix.  There are compilers for
Objective C, C, C++ and others.  Scripts or macros can be written to
modify how Terminal and vim behave within Mac OS X.  Although there are
differences in how this is done in every unix what works within Darwin
is easy to determine if one is sufficiently experienced and skilled and
patient to implement what one wishes to implement.

The best thing about Linux and YDL in particular is the availability of
turning the PB into a server of one's own.  However, you must partition
the HD to do so; the problems involved in this method requires a
graduate course in itself to investigate sufficiently; this can be
avoided entirely however by
purchasing from Terra Soft YDL installed onto (I kid you not) -- an
iPod -- this will allow you to have YDL booting from and running from
the iPod!

Regarding other distributions of Linux; besides their funny sounding
names none of them are as cool as running a Red Hat compliant Linux
from an iPod!

Enough said!

Best wishes....