OT - Care to share your opinion?

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Tue May 17 02:44:30 MDT 2005

Hi Matt,

I've avoided putting Linux on my Mac laptop for the following reason:

Apple plays the power management stuff on their machines very close to
their chests.  They consider hardware details like that to be
"proprietary intellectual property" and they don't want it to become
part of an open-source software project until it's obsolete enough not
to be a threat to their future hardware sales.  (Personally, I find it
hard to get inside the head of anybody who believes in "proprietary
intellectual property", but I suppose they are afraid that some x86
laptop manufacturer will get hold of it and use it to design a
better/cheaper/faster/whatever machine that might cut into their sales.
  Who knows?  It could happen, I suppose...)

It usually takes a while for the Linux community to reverse engineer
the details of the PMU on a new machine.  On a laptop, power management
is not just a nice thing to have.  It's a necessity.

So, if you buy a state of the art Mac laptop today, it will be a year
or two before you can run Linux on it without either burning it up or
running the battery down too fast for it to be of practical use.

So, IMHO, your practical options are Linux on an X86 laptop, or MacOS-X
on a Mac laptop.

Rick