Correcting computer time using ntpdate & ntp

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Mon May 9 11:25:03 MDT 2005

> First I generally use IP addresses rather than names in my ntp.conf,
> so in your case it would be:
>
> server 199.212.17.20 prefer			# ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca
>
> However this is probably not your problem.
>
> Second, you may need a "restrict" entry for your server (I think by
> default it restricts everything).  I'd put this before your server
> entry as follows:
>
> restrict 199.212.17.20 mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> server 199.212.17.20 prefer			# ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca

The restrict line is only used when your computer is an NTP server. The ntpd
has two roles - as a client to set the local time, and as a server to
provide time to other local network hosts. By default it doesn't provide the
latter function.

Since Eric couldn't get his local time set, then the restrict option is not
applicable.