Help on using Konstruct

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Tue May 10 20:02:36 MDT 2005

To bring up KDE-3.4 I mimicked what I had done for Garnome.

* Create two files:

.xinitrc
        #!/bin/sh
        exec /usr/local/bin/kde-session

kde-session
        !/bin/sh

        # set up the environment
        QTDIR=/opt/kde3.4
        KDEDIR=/opt/kde3.4
        PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        PYTHONPATH=$KDEDIR/lib/python2.3/site-packages
        PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
        XDG_DATA_DIRS=$KDEDIR/share:/usr/share
        GDK_USE_XFT=1
        MANPATH=$KDEDIR/share/man:$MANPATH

        export QTDIR KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH
        PKG_CONFIG_PATH GDK_USE_XFT XDG_DATA_DIRS MANPATH

        # start KDE
        exec $KDEDIR/bin/startkde

I don't know if all of this stuff is necessary.

* delete existing ~/.kde stuff

* run "startx"

The KDE desktop comes up and runs.

-Joseph

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 20:16 -0500, Jim Ricken wrote:
> Hi again all.
> I am writing to you all on my sons(gulp) pc,because my Mac is busy
> compiling KDE 3.4 and when it gets done compiling /installing what do I
> need to do to use it as my session,I want to see if it will work.
>
> Can someone help me out on this one?
> Jim
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net