Upgrade from 3.0.1 to 4.0.0 / 4.0.1

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed May 18 16:15:59 MDT 2005

I am sure others on this list will offer a comment if you ask but I
will state my opinion clearly.  YDL 3.0/3.0.1 is NOT optimized for the
G5 nor is it optimized for G5 dual processors.  Nor are ANY of its
component or associate programs.  YDL 4.0 and higher takes the G5 into
account and can work nicely with the dual processors.  Feel free to
read Terra Soft's archives, past discussions on this list and so on,
the information background is available to be researched from anywhere
on the Web.

The essence or core of the issue is that the reason you can make the
leap I recommended is that:

1.  Linux (the Red Hat Linux tree) underwent extreme changes and
rewrites.

2.  Simultaneously the G5's were becoming available and the dual
processors were likewise a level of power which had not been available
to common users of YDL.

This means that the order of difference between YDL 3.0 and YDL 4.0 is
not linear, but logarithmic!  Got it?  Remember your basic math and
compare a graph of e to the power of x and you should get my meaning.

Simply stated the differences are so great that they share the name of
YDL only.

As for doing a clean install and starting afresh from YDL 4.0.1... I
would certainly choose that for myself if I had your equipment.  If the
machine in question is your personal research box, then by all means
turn it into Deep Thought (reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy) or HAL (2001).  But if the unit is participating in a networked
environment or being used in other ways, the strategy you choose must
take those needs into consideration.  However, whenever you are ready I
would recommend that you tar or archive your important programs (that
you were working on in YDL 3.0/3.0.1 which you yourself and your
colleagues wrote) to be burned onto a CD which then YDL 4.0 can read.
This will save you some time.  You should be back up in no time and
doing some very interesting things... if you have the imagination for
it.   How's that for a friendly challenge or enticement?

Good luck...