4.01 on Beige G3

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu May 19 19:10:09 MDT 2005

Hi Murias:

YDL 4.0 onwards does not support the old G3 towers as the older YDL
versions did.  There is no version for example of BootX for Old World
G3 computers which are the category most Beige G3's exist in.  Also Old
World Systems like the Beige G3's cannot use yaboot.  Also a decision
(by Terra Soft Solutions) was made that only New World machines would
be supported from YDL 4.0 forward.

Feeling a bit stranded, yet?

The work around this is that you keep BootX running within OS 9 and
boot into YDL 4 from it, but you will have to confer with others on
this list as to what the BootX settings should be to initiate a
successful boot into Linux.  This is also complicated by the fact that
not only does everything I stated hold true; it is ALSO true that one
cannot even install YDL 4.0 without the correct BootX parameters and
I'm not sure what those are either.

Someone or at least a few should know what those settings are.

Once all that is done one should be able to boot into YDL 4 and onwards
from BootX.