Compiling Netatalk 2.0.3

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Sun May 22 19:44:29 MDT 2005

A simple suggestion:

* Download the source rpm for netatalk-1.6.4 from YDL.
* Unpack it:
	rpm -ivh netatalk-1.6.4-2.1.src.rpm

which will place the spec and source files under

	/usr/src/yellowdog

* read the spec file for some insight.

* build the binary rpms

	rpmbuild -bb netatalk.spec

* examine
	/usr/src/yellowdog/BUILD/netatalk-1.6.4/config.log

to explicitly see the configuation arguments used to build
netatalk-1.6.4.

* use what you learned as a starting point

-Joseph

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 21:47 +0100, Dene Stringfellow wrote:
> I'm running YellowDog Linux 4 on a Blue&White G3 tower.
> Previously I've installed netatalk as part of a system installation from
>
> the CD .iso's without too much trouble.
> I was wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right
> direction regarding the ./configure process.
>
> I first tried to install netatalk-2.0.2 which apparently installed OK
> although the files appeared to be installed to a directory in
> /usr/local/bin/ rather than the normal /etc/, however when I had edited
> the relevant .conf and started the server I could access the shares. As
> a result, I uninstalled netatalk-2.0.2 and installed netatalk-1.6.4 via
> yum and after editing the .conf files and starting the server was able
> able to access the shares without any problem - having opened the ports
> in the firewall! (I forgot about that when I installed 2.0.2!) Anyway,
> since I did that 2.0.3 has been released and I thought I'd try compiling
>
> from source again.
>
> So, I uploaded the netatalk-2.0.3.tar.gz file to the /usr/local/install
> directory (where I keep all my master install archives).
> Then I extracted the netatalk-2.0.3 directory using:
>
> tar zxvf netatalk-2.0.3.tar.gz
>
> Now when I configure netatalk should I be using the following command?
>
> ./configure --enable-redhat --with-bdb=[path]
>
> or just plain
>
> ./configure     (I think I must have used this when I installed 2.0.2)
>
> How do I find out version of Berkeley DB I'm running and where it is
> installed?
>
> Is there any way I can find out how the YDL netatalk rpm has been
> configured?
>
> OpenSSL is installed but  do I need TCP wrappers, PAM, OpenSLP and/or
> iconv? And how would any of these affect the ./configure command?
>

> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> BFN
>
> Dene Stringfellow

joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net