Fwd: (Incident Review ID: 403998) GETJAVA: comment: JRE for YellowDog Linux community

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue May 24 13:55:36 MDT 2005

Cian Duffy <myob87 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> OpenOffice2 doesn't support Kaffe. I doubt Eclipse does, or NetBeans.
> Or any major Java app, for that matter.

Eclipse 3 actually works quite nicely, and has even been packaged for debian
using Kaffe. I am currently hacking on making some dependencies of Eclipse move
into Debian (lucene) by having the build and run fine on Kaffe out of the box.

There is someone working on packaging open office 2 (m100) using Kaffe instead
of gcj, as well. You may find that the similarities between Kaffe and gcj wrt to
the class library (which is pretty much all that matters for most applications)
are pretty huge, as they both use GNU Classpath as their upstream provider for
the class libraries, and contribute their patches and improvements back.

So for distributions that are not ready yet for gcj4, for whetever reason, using
Kaffe as an intermediate step before the gcc4 switch could make sense.

cheers,
dalibor topic