Trouble with Y-HPC on G5 2x2.5 + NVIDIA 6800 Ultra DDL

Peter van der Heide p.vanderheide at imb.uq.edu.au
Mon May 30 18:15:37 MDT 2005

Howdy all,

>> Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might be able to get X
>> working satisfactorily with the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra, guesses on when
>> official support might be available, or confirmation of compatibility
>> with 2.0GHz + ATI Radeon 9800 or 2.7GHz + ATI Radeon 9650 G5 models?

I found a solution to my problem, I'll post it in case anyone with a
similar configuration runs into trouble. The "nv" drivers included with
YDL 4.0.1 are not compatible with the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra. However the
latest build of xorg for ppc includes a newer set of drivers that do
support this card.

I found the rpm for the latest xorg binary at
http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/redhat/fedora/development/ppc/
Fedora/RPMS/xorg-x11-6.8.2-31.ppc.rpm , and extracted the two nvidia
files - a binary driver that goes in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ ,
and a man page to go in /usr/X11R6/man/man4/ . They are attached below,
I renamed the existing files to nv_drv_bak.o and nv.4x.bak.gz.

I'm now satisfactorily using X; there are a few tiny glitches but it
seems to work best in 24 bit mode. I'm using a 30" cinema display, the
resolution of which is not recognized by the KDE GUI display controls
(it appears as 640x480), but as long as I don't touch that setting it
seems to work fine.

Good luck to any others facing similar issues. I can post a copy of my
XF86Config if anyone's interested.

cheers -pete