[ydl-gen] Yaboot problems and YDL 4.0.1

Randy Zagar zagar at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 14 12:28:22 MST 2005

I've now successfully installed YDL 4.0.1 on a dual G5 Xserve and on a
PowerMac G4.  I had problems similar to what's being described in this
thread on the G4 because the disks had partitions that OpenFirmware
couldn't handle...

My problem went away after I did a

    dd count=10 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

and completely obliterated the old partition tables.  Then I let the YDL
installer create the partitions it wanted.  I did change sizes a bit...

I was able to do this "dd" magic at the beginning of the install by
doing a Ctrl-Alt-F2 which will take you to a root shell prompt.

I want to say everything is fine now, but there are other things broken
in 4.0.1 that are outside the scope of this thread...

-RZ

--
Randy Zagar                               Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
E-mail: zagar at arlut.utexas.edu            Applied Research Laboratories