Was: [ydl-gen] Yaboot problems and YDL 4.0.1; now: Broken things in YDL 4.0.1

Greg Larramore greglarramore at tyndale.com
Mon Nov 14 12:51:02 MST 2005

Randy,

Let's start a thread regarding your discovery of broken things in YDL
4.0.1.

I just recently intalled YDL 4.0.1 on a G4 (without incident, by the
way), but haven't had the chance to experiment with it much yet.

Please share some of the things that you've discovered that don't work,
and what some of us should be on the lookout for.

Thank you for sharing!

Greg

>>>zagar at arlut.utexas.edu 11/14 1:28 pm >>>

I've now successfully installed YDL 4.0.1 on a dual G5 Xserve and on a
PowerMac G4.  I had problems similar to what's being described in this
thread on the G4 because the disks had partitions that OpenFirmware
couldn't handle...

My problem went away after I did a

   dd count=10 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

and completely obliterated the old partition tables.  Then I let the YDL
installer create the partitions it wanted.  I did change sizes a bit...

I was able to do this dd magic at the beginning of the install by
doing a Ctrl-Alt-F2 which will take you to a root shell prompt.

I want to say everything is fine now, but there are other things broken
in 4.0.1 that are outside the scope of this thread...

-RZ

--
Randy Zagar                               Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
E-mail: zagar at arlut.utexas.edu            Applied Research Laboratories