[ydl-gen] how to disable power management - "Always On" mode?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Oct 5 18:54:51 MDT 2005

>> First of all your firewall was up?  Yes?
>
> The box is on an internal LAN. None of us cracked our system :-D
> Firewall is down for ease-of-use, since ultimate security on an
> internal test
> system is not of value at this time :-)

Well, I'm glad nothing was broken, stolen or spirited away to regions
unknown.

>> Did you check your own energy settings?
>
> Well, the point of my post was - I didn't know how to do that.
> I am used to using SuSE (mostly) and Debian (a little) and they don't
> have any
> go-to-sleep power saving enabled by default. And I am used to using
> YaST in
> SuSE to configure most things, so my question was simply: what is
> controlling
> the energy settings, and how do I configure it? I just didn't know
> what to
> look for. There doesn't seem to be any multi-purpose control center
> for that
> in Yellow Dog. If there is, I'd be please for someone to point out my
> error :-)
>
> I looked in the KMenu, and at everything named system-config-* and did
> not
> find anything that manages power/energy/sleep settings.

Rule of thumb regarding the various distros of Linux.  Never assume
that they are set the same or use the exact same anything.  Go through
a thorough review of every default setting when you first login to
whatever desktop available after the installation has been completed.
This should be done by the System Admin just as a double check insuring
everything for the user is locked and preset according to whatever the
policy is at the site.  The Sys. Admin should also recall that control
apps in KDE are different in appearance, and sometimes in function in
other desktop environments and sometimes accessed and invoked
completely differently as well.

>> Perhaps you omitted to examine
>> your auto shutdown sequence?  That is, you may have overlooked that
>> setting the shutdown value to 0 is the only way to guarantee that your
>> system remains up forever ... as long as your alive to pay the bills
>> for the power it uses.
>
> I've never seen or heard of this before. The system was not "off", as
> soon as
> I moved the mouse it woke up and showed my desktop, and I was able to
> ping
> and log in through ssh again without doing anything more than moving
> the
> mouse. This is exactly the same behavior as under OS X - by default it
> goes
> to sleep and in sleep mode you can't access anything over the network.

It is almost always a losing battle to discuss anything technical short
of discrete mathematics in common English or any other human language.
Face to face communication is difficult sometimes, describing technical
events or items can be extremely trying.  From your more detailed
description this time around it appears that your system didn't
shutdown; it was merely asleep.  Completely different scenario than
what was described.  Easier to resolve; still not a good thing in a
24/7 always up data center environment, but reasonably acceptable in a
college work lab or college library area.

>> You are probably realizing that tracking all this down -- after the
>> fact -- is a waste of time.
>
> Not really, I'm trying to learn something, that's the whole point. I
> just ...

As usual what is useful or not, critical or not, is completely relative
to what your computer center is doing.  Supporting the company or city
payroll center is completely different than a computer network
functioning within a student lab facility.

>> So it is best to rule out the obvious...
>> such as silly energy saving rules which don't apply or which you don't
>> need.
>
> Silly energy saving rules are /exactly/ what I was looking for.
>
>> In short, start from scratch.
>
> This /is/ scratch ;-)
>
> I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post.
>
> In the mean time, I believe I have figured out what to change.
>
> Thank you :-)

Sometimes we are all a bit befuddled and bewildered stumbling about and
by some circumstance manage to find a wall or chair to support
ourselves just before we fall.  We shouldn't be surprised that
sometimes working through Linux can be a little bit like our other
experiences and we wonder haven't I gone through this before?
Sometimes a bit of Linux is very similar to (sometimes) seeing Sarte's
No Way Out or reading Nietzche's All Too Human.  In the meantime, a bit
of wine, smooths anxiety a long way.

Glad you solved the puzzle and resolved it for yourself.  Bacchus is a
wonderful god of inspiration, no?