[ydl-gen] headless configuration

Richardson, Jeremiah Jeremiah.Richardson at gd-ais.com
Thu Oct 13 10:35:45 MDT 2005

Here's how I did the installation using Yellow Dog 4.0 on an Xserve.
First, I used a serial connection to a laptop with a null modem adapter
in there.  On the laptop I am running HyperTerminal.  I am using the
following settings

Port: Com1 (may need to use another com port)

Bits per second : 57600

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow Control: Xon/Xoff

Then, I connect the HyperTerminal and start the Xserve with the first
YDL CD in it.  As I start the Xserve, I am holding down the button with
an exclamation mark inside of a triangle until the top LED's are
blinking in a one after the other sequence, bouncing back and forth.
Then, I release the button and push it six more times.  The bottom LED
should now be on the seventh LED (or the second from the left).  I push
and hold the button until I see output in the HyperTerminal on the
laptop.  This should have booted the Xserve into OpenFirmware mode and
there should be a command prompt in HyperTerminal.  Then, I type this
into the prompt "boot cd:,\\yaboot"  and this should load the Yellow Dog
Installer.  From there, this continues as a normal YDL installation.
Let me know if any of this works for you.  Also, I gained a good bit of
experience with this exact situation while beating my through it, so if
you need any more help don't hesitate to ask.

Jeremiah Richardson