[ydl-gen] Mounting Samba Share

Brian Wood beww1 at mac.com
Thu Oct 13 18:23:48 MDT 2005

Howdy:

I am trying to mount a samba share on my G3 iBook running YDL 4.0.1.

I have installed all updates via yum, as well as the samba packages.

An attempt to mount using smbclient fails, looks like an authentication
problem as I get the same error whether I enter the correct password or
not. The share is being served by a Linksys NSLU2 (the famous "slug"),
and the shares mount just fine on windows machines, OS X machines and a
FC3  i86 Linux box. Sorry I do not have the exact error text handy.

I notice that the smbfs kernel module does not load automatically, as it
does on my FC3 i86 system. If I install the module manually via modprobe
it makes no difference, although /proc/filesystems then shows smbfs as
an installed fs.

I admit I have not spent much time on this, I just wondered if somebody
else might have done the leg work and could save me some time.

Any suggestions appreciated, as always -- much thanks.