[ydl-gen] Yaboot problems and YDL 4.0.1

Enda Cronnolly enda at codefoundry.com
Mon Oct 31 06:21:24 MST 2005

Hi Guys,

I've just switched from SuSE 7.1 PPC to YDL after a buddy of mine showed me
his mac booting without the use of a CD, something which I've had to endure
for years.

I haven't had much of a smooth run, with the various installations hanging at
the end at the post installation bit, but after my fourth attempt, now have a
complete YDL setup running, but no yaboot menu.

My config:
PowerBook G4, tibook.
1 x 20Gb hard disk dedicated 100% to linux

output of fdisk -l :
Disk /dev/hda: 20.0 GB, 20003880960 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38760 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

/dev/hda1               1           2         976+  41  PPC PReP Boot
/dev/hda2   *           3           4        1008   83  Linux
/dev/hda3               5        1044      524160   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4            1045       38760    19008864    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5            1045        1207       82120+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6            1208       38760    18926680+  83  Linux

I boot the system from my YDL CD1, by specifying kernel linux root=/dev/hda6
and I can log in and work pretty much the same as before with SuSE.

If I login as root and run ybin, it exits cleanly, but on reboot, just get the
flashing happy mac / ? icon to indicate that the OS can't be found.

Is the above partition order OK?
Is the correct partition marked bootable, or should /dev/hda1 be bootable?

I've tried the OF boot strings with no sucess.
I've zapped P Ram which eliminated the auto-dimmed screen at startup problem,
but didn't resolve the yaboot issue.

Anyone got any ideas of what I could try?

TIA,

 -Enda.