[ydl-gen] reinstalled osx and bootx is gone

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 06:57:11 MDT 2005

On 9/2/05, Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh at mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > Also, command-option-p-r at chime time (boot) may get yaboot working
> > again.
>
>   Uhh, no. This will reset the PRAM, and not help yaboot at all since it
> relies on the boot-device setting in the PRAM to work.

Hmm. Methinks that's *precisely* what one can choose to do (i.e reset
PRAM). Usually (always?... this is how I've done it always) the yaboot
partition is the first bootable partition on a drive which means that
a PRAM reset will (and *does*, I can tell you from first hand
experience) restore yaboot as the default boot device (since the PRAM
reset resets the boot device to the first logical (?) partition).

>   The way to get yaboot working again is to boot up holding down the option
> key. This will boot into a boot device selector. Wait for the spinny
> cursor to stop, and it should show you the bootable partitions. Usually
> one for OS X and another for linux (complete with the Penguin). Boot into
> Linux and as root run ybin to set boot-device to the yaboot boot
> partition. Everything should be well again.

Yes, this is an alternate solution (takes a little longer than
command-option-P-R ;-).

Eric.