[ydl-gen] reinstalled osx and bootx is gone

Mark Guertin guertin at brucemaudesign.com
Fri Sep 2 10:03:34 MDT 2005

On 2-Sep-05, at 8:57 AM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 9/2/05, Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Eric Dunbar wrote:
>>
>>> Also, command-option-p-r at chime time (boot) may get yaboot working
>>> again.
>>>

>>   Uhh, no. This will reset the PRAM, and not help yaboot at all
>> since it
>> relies on the boot-device setting in the PRAM to work.
>>

> Hmm. Methinks that's *precisely* what one can choose to do (i.e reset
> PRAM). Usually (always?... this is how I've done it always) the yaboot
> partition is the first bootable partition on a drive which means that
> a PRAM reset will (and *does*, I can tell you from first hand
> experience) restore yaboot as the default boot device (since the PRAM
> reset resets the boot device to the first logical (?) partition).
>

>>   The way to get yaboot working again is to boot up holding down
>> the option
>> key. This will boot into a boot device selector. Wait for the spinny
>> cursor to stop, and it should show you the bootable partitions.
>> Usually
>> one for OS X and another for linux (complete with the Penguin).
>> Boot into
>> Linux and as root run ybin to set boot-device to the yaboot boot
>> partition. Everything should be well again.
>>

> Yes, this is an alternate solution (takes a little longer than
> command-option-P-R ;-).

cmd+option+P+R won't always get you to yaboot, it really depends on
_your_ disk is setup and particular OF version honestly.  Using the
method with option is a much better way of doing it as it's not a
crap shoot.  Even if yaboot is your first bootable drive it doesn't
equate that each open firmware version is going to find it first.  By
default OF looks for :txbi to boot, and not :yaboot

So again to sum it up holding option at boot ensure you can boot
properly into linux, and rerunning ybin is the better option without
a doubt (no guess work, the computer then knows exactly what to boot
again and it doesn't have to search for a bootable partition on each
startup).

Mark