[ydl-gen] how to get write privileges

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Sep 5 10:04:21 MDT 2005

Hi Kev:
I previously showed you how to invoke vim so that it successfully opens
yum.conf.  If you followed the exercise I provided you would notice it
left you in /etc where yum.conf is located.

However, if your system doesn't have vim because you didn't select it as
a package to be installed that is another matter.

You may have to use vi.  vi is a similar program to vim; the difference
is that vim can show colors of text within a document so that you can
identify more easily the difference between a defined function and a
variable.  This is something some programmers find helpful whereas
others don't.  In any case, vi is part of the standard YDL installation
and should exist on your system.  The usage and commands are the same.
Just do with vi, the same examples I did with vim and make sure you are
in su mode.

If you want to check for the existence of vi or vim, or anything else
you can do:

[root at arakus bin]# whereis vim
vim: /usr/bin/vim /usr/share/vim /usr/share/man/man1/vim.1.gz
[root at arakus bin]#
[root at arakus bin]# whereis vi
vi: /bin/vi /usr/share/man/man1p/vi.1p.gz /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1.gz
[root at arakus bin]# whereis xmms
xmms: /usr/bin/xmms /usr/lib/xmms /usr/share/xmms
/usr/share/man/man1/xmms.1.gz
[root at arakus bin]#