[ydl-gen] how to get write privileges

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Mon Sep 5 12:48:09 MDT 2005

On Monday 5 September 2005 16:52, Kevin McMahon wrote:
> I am trying to change the yum.conf file and when I make a change it says
> i do not have write privileges, I am doing this as root and am not in a
> text editor, just open the file in the directory. I make a change to
> where yum will look for headers and I get the above, any clues... I try
> and open it with 'vim' as in vim yum.conf and it says vim not a command,
> i open the file with vi and there is nothing there... Hope you can help

Again, from your message, I can't deduce what you did exactly.
Try the following (exactly!):
- open a terminal via the menu or the taskbar
- in this terminal type:
  su -
- enter your root password as requested
- next type:
  vi /etc/yum.conf

That should open your yum configuration file. If there is nothing there, I
would suggest you use your webbrowser to surf to one of the ydl ftp mirrors,
download the yum rpm package, and as root, reinstall this package using rpm:
- become root, by entering 'su -' in a terminal
- type
  rpm -Uvh --force <path to your freshly downloaded yum rpm package)

Maybe that will help you.

Geert Jan