[ydl-gen] fresh new yum.conf file via an rpm

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Thu Sep 8 12:41:09 MDT 2005

Dear Kevin,

What do you mean, it doesn't work?

I have told you in at least two mails before that without detailed error
descriptions, it's very hard to help you. Please make it a habit to detail
your problems.

Based on what I see in you mail now, it looks as if you are trying to install
a source rpm. Those can't be installed. Or more precisely, when you install
them, you really install a source package, ready to be compiled.

What you would want, is either a binary package (for PowerPC, you can
recognize them because their name has 'ppc' instead of 'src'), or you can
build the source package:

su -
rpmbuild <packagename>

The resulting binary package wil be found in /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/
(This last one is from the top of my head, since I don't have ydl installed
right now).

Just one warning though if you are going to build the package yourself: the
package you tried to install is a package coming from the fedora core 4
distribution (see the fc4 in the name ?), and I'm not sure you can build this
on yld4. I mean, I am not sure you can meet all the dependencies that your
fc4 package requires. But it's easy to find out: just try the build.

Geert