[ydl-gen] fresh new yum.conf file via an rpm

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Thu Sep 8 13:27:02 MDT 2005

You are correct that yum is a 'noarch' package, so my mail is partly
confusing.

Instead of searching for a binary ('ppc') package, Kevin should look for a
'noarch' package.

On the other hand, (I just add this for completeness), in a way 'noarch'
packages can also be the result of building a source package. This is
apparently the case with yum for example. Although building such a package
doesn't consist of creating a binary executable from a source file, it could
be used to adapt the architecture independent scripts to the precise runtime
environment. For example, during the 'build' some script parameters could be
altered to define the paths of certain external tools, or environment
variables could be set depending on the existing runtime. If all this
checking had to be done each time the end user runs the noarch program, it
might be too slow. So by doing a 'build' to preset all that can be preset,
the resulting noarch program could be more responsive. This is just one
example, I'm inventing here and now. There's probably other useful reasons to
have a src rpm for a noarch package.

Geert