[ydl-gen] Re: Setting up sendmail to send mail (via SMTP)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 17:16:29 MDT 2006

On 16/08/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all, I'm trying to make my server a little more user-friendly for my friends and
> for that to  happen I need to add the ability for the server to SEND mail.
>
> My ISP (Bell Sympatico) blocks all attempts to deliver mail directly to another mail server. The
> only way for me to get mail out is by connecting to my ISP's mail SMTP mail server using a
> username and password, over SSL.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to set sendmail (or another MTA) up on YDL to send mail
> from the server (a Gallery installation, to be specific) to a public internet address?
>
> I've searched far and wide for this but the language surrounding sendmail is quite
> technical (beyond my geek skills) [I don't know what question to ask of Google yet ;-P].

Just as an FYI: This is the error message I get from sendmail (eventually):

Running /var/spool/mqueue/k7ELuwcO018901 (sequence 1 of 1)
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com>... Connecting to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
via esmtp...
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com>... Connecting to
alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. via esmtp...
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com>... Connecting to
alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. via esmtp...
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com>... Connecting to gsmtp163.google.com. via esmtp...
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com>... Connecting to gsmtp183.google.com. via esmtp...
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
gsmtp183.google.com.
hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/aliases.db: No such file or directory
<apache at localhost.localdomain>... WARNING: cannot open alias database
/etc/aliases; reading text version
/etc/aliases: 69 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 679 bytes total
aliased to root
Cannot send message for zero seconds
root... Connecting to local...
root... Sent