[ydl-gen] Setting up sendmail to send mail (via SMTP)

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 08:41:05 MDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all, I'm trying to make my server a little more user-friendly for my
> friends and for that to  happen I need to add the ability for the server to
> SEND mail.

 Userfriend and sendmail ususally don't go hand in hand. :-) Is there
a reason why you're using sendmail instead of Postfix? One of the
reasons why I *love* YDL is because it uses Postfix as the default
MTA, I've stopped using sendmail years ago.

 If you want to use Postfix, here's what you need to do:

1) As root, type:

alternatives --config mta

(choose postfix, it's not there you'll need to install it via yum)

2) then:

service sendmail stop

(to shut down sendmail)

3) add this line to your /etc/postfix/main.cf file:

relayhost = <sympatico smtp server>

It's probably already there, but commented out. From my experience
with Sympatico (somewhat limited through clients only), you should be
able to do it without SSL and authentication. Just use the outbound
SMTP relay host name given to you by Bell (usually something like
smtp1.sympatico.ca) as the <sympatico smtp server> above.

4) Now start up Postfix:

service postfix start

This should have you up and running very quickly. To test it, at a
bash prompt do something like:

 echo 'hey there' | mail -s 'testing 1,2,3' your.email at gmail.com

You can then (as root):

tail -f /var/log/maillog