[ydl-gen] Setting up sendmail to send mail (via SMTP)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 22:50:07 MDT 2006

On 17/08/06, pstreibig <pstreibig at bcj.com> wrote:
> >> I'm curious though, when you say your ISP blocks all outbound mail.  How
> >> are they implementing this?  I guess it's more academic curiosity, but
> >> did you try changing the default port for sendmail?  There are more
> >> reasons for not doing this than for doing it though, not the least of
> >> which being the pain of maintaining an up to date, fully patched secure
> >> mail server, which ideally your ISP is doing for you already.
> >
> > See Chris Murtagh's email for an succinct answer to your question.
>
> Yes, that did confirm my suspicions.  Your current solution seems the
> most elegant.
>
> As for the sendmail v. postfix debate, well, you have sendmail running
> now.  In my experience most people have problems simply getting sendmail
> configured correctly and running the way they would like it to.  I can
> currently see no reason to change. If you have the time and
> inclination, Postfix is definitely the better choice, esp. for expanded
> services.

Glad to hear that sendmail is up to the "heavy" job of sending one or
two e-mails/day! As for configuring it, Webmin makes the most
amateurish of Linux users dangerous to his or her own system. I'm able
to change settings in seconds that would take me hours or even days of
reading man pages to figure out and apply :-) (I tried at least a
dozen different trial-and-error permutations and combinations of
settings with sendmail in 10 minutes care of Webmin whilst I was
trouble shooting (and, I'm sure it would've taken three or four times
as long to achieve the same results manually)).

> I can't verify on my ydl machine, due to a home disaster, but
> in my experience, sendmail is installed by default on *nix machines.
> Correct me if I'm wrong here :)  Many root and user notifications are
> sent by the system and applications via the basic sendmail system.
> Postfix and other MTAs are frequently included as the preferred MTA of a
> distro, but generally users need to switch from sendmail to Postfix via
> the method Chris described.
>
> cheers
> :ps
>
> Sorry in advance if this message hits the list in two similar forms, but
> my first attempt appears to have evaporated after a successful status=sent..

Only one e-mail is out here in the 'ether'net ;-P.