[ydl-gen] Setting up sendmail to send mail (via SMTP)

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 10:50:25 MDT 2006

On 8/17/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is postfix's sendmail distinct from sendmail ;-P?

Postfix's 'sendmail' is a drop in replacement for sendmail so that
older applications can simply call 'sendmail' and get the MTA.

> >  If you want to use Postfix, here's what you need to do:
>
> Thank you for the info. Your informative e-mail is now filed in my
> list of 'must keeps' for future reference. At the moment, sendmail
> seems to be chugging along, and I think that it's "locked down" to
> prevent access as an open relay.

This is the default for most MTA's as far as I know, certainly for
Postfix. By default, Postfix relays for localhost only unless you
explicity tell it not to. From main.cf:

# By default, Postfix relays mail
# - from "trusted" clients (IP address matches $mynetworks) to any destination,
# - from "untrusted" clients to destinations that match $relay_domains or
#   subdomains thereof, except addresses with sender-specified routing.
# The default relay_domains value is $mydestination.

Postfix has a better security record that Sendmail, mostly because the
configuration is far easier for mere humans to understand (and that
Postfix is much younger, built with security in mind, sendmail was
written back in the day when you could rlogin to another host and it
would trust you by IP or other such silliness - a different era).

Cheers,

Chris