[ydl-gen] Setting up sendmail to send mail (via SMTP)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:06:44 MDT 2006

On 17/08/06, Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is postfix's sendmail distinct from sendmail ;-P?
>
> Postfix's 'sendmail' is a drop in replacement for sendmail so that
> older applications can simply call 'sendmail' and get the MTA.
>
> > >  If you want to use Postfix, here's what you need to do:
> >
> > Thank you for the info. Your informative e-mail is now filed in my
> > list of 'must keeps' for future reference. At the moment, sendmail
> > seems to be chugging along, and I think that it's "locked down" to
> > prevent access as an open relay.
>
> This is the default for most MTA's as far as I know, certainly for
> Postfix. By default, Postfix relays for localhost only unless you
> explicity tell it not to. From main.cf:
>
> # By default, Postfix relays mail
> # - from "trusted" clients (IP address matches $mynetworks) to any destination,
> # - from "untrusted" clients to destinations that match $relay_domains or
> #   subdomains thereof, except addresses with sender-specified routing.
> # The default relay_domains value is $mydestination.
>
> Postfix has a better security record that Sendmail, mostly because the
> configuration is far easier for mere humans to understand (and that
> Postfix is much younger, built with security in mind, sendmail was
> written back in the day when you could rlogin to another host and it
> would trust you by IP or other such silliness - a different era).

Hmm. I think I'm using the 'real' sendmail but now I pose the question
-- if postfix is the default, did sendmail get installed
once-upon-a-time as a dependency for one of the applications I
installed above and beyond the generic YDL install (gallery1,
gallery2, webmin, webalizer)?

Secondly, given that I got sendmail working the way I want it to, I
suspect I don't need to switch to postfix. My needs for mail sending
are pretty simple.

...Though, come to think of it, I wouldn't mind receiving e-mail for
one of my domains to learn a little more about hosting an incoming
e-mail server (a free domain name, provided by www.DynDNS.com
(fantastic service... more reliable than my static IPs ;-)).