[ydl-gen] failed dependencies question (redhat based ydl)

sloopy malibu sloopy at ydl.net
Fri Aug 25 21:19:53 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 15:28 -0500, Nick Jones wrote:
> I have a question, what came first, the chicken or the egg, or in this
> case what was installed first, mysql or perl-DBD??

both at the same time

> How does the system install both when each is dependant on the other
> being installed?  If this is possible, then why does it complain about
> a dependency when trying to uninstall?  Can't it see that one is a
> dependant of the other, and the same race condition exists as when
> trying to uninstall, and that this must somehow be accounted for if
> the system is to function properly?

you install both at the same to ie:

rpm -I packageA.rpm packageB.rpm

multiple package names on a single command line are permissable.

> [root at alienraid
> mysql-standard-4.1.21-unknown-linux-gnu-powerpc-glibc23]# rpm -e
> perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9003-4.ppc
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         perl-DBD-MySQL is needed by (installed) mysql-3.23.58-16.yd4.ppc
> [root at alienraid
> mysql-standard-4.1.21-unknown-linux-gnu-powerpc-glibc23]# rpm -e
> mysql-3.23.58-16.yd4.ppc
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed)
> perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9003-4.ppc
>         libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed)
> libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-8.1.ppc
>         libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed) MyODBC-2.50.39-18.2.ppc
>         libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed)
> mysql-server-3.23.58-16.yd4.ppc
>         libmysqlclient_r.so.10 is needed by (installed)
> MySQL-python-0.9.2-3.1.ydl.1.ppc
>         mysql = 3.23.58 is needed by (installed) mysql-devel-3.23.58-16.yd4.ppc
>         mysql is needed by (installed) MySQL-python-0.9.2-3.1.ydl.1.ppc
>         mysql = 3.23.58 is needed by (installed) mysql-server-3.23.58-16.yd4.ppc
>

> Not a real important question, just one of those annoyances with
> Redhat's RPM system.

well yeah like most things the problem seems insurmountable when the
answer isnt easily known. but this is also the reason yum was made to
help with the dependency issues. it isnt a good idea to play with rpm
with packages unless you know what your doing, this is why we have yum,
so we dont have to deal with these issues on a day to day (or install to
install) circumstance.

sloopy.

p.s. and when doing updates on packages just do a 'rpm -Uvh
package_name.rpm' you dont need to delete the old package before
installing the new, rpm will do that for you.