[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Dec 1 17:54:59 MST 2006

Then as this is most likely the case, one must consider the fact that
Sony's effort is proprietary.  Note that the client is renamed as being
"for" the Folding @ Home network also note the Terms of Use at the
bottom of that page.  Everyone should read the documents there very
carefully.  In my reading, there is no way that what SCE has published
there is anywhere to be considered as GPL.  If you care to consider the
question yourself, you are welcome to refer to the Open Source
Initiative which defines what open source means here:

http://www.opensource.org/

I'm pretty sure that after a good review there can be agreement in the
YDL community that what Sony and it's affiliates intend is not anywhere
close to what the common definition of open source means.  If this is
clear, then it is also clear that NO portion of the GameOS or software
running within or on or with any interface with it can be considered
open source nor can it be reverse-engineered, hacked or otherwise
studied without violating Sony's licenses as written.

This means that what is developed within YDL and the GameOS will be
forever separate developments.  What is developed within YDL will be and
remain open source.  What is developed to run within the Game OS and
associated programs -- such as Cure at Playstation3, will be and remain
proprietary.

The one possible exception would be if and only if Sony developed it's
own variant of open source license structure as IBM, Apple and other's have.
Such a development could happen potentially in the future.

However, it does not exist now and nothing approaching open source,
exists currently within the currently published Terms of Use listed on
that page, in my view.
The code within Cure at Playstation3 therefore is off-limits, in my view.