[ydl-gen] Programming the CELL BE on YDL 5

Jonathan Bartlett jonathan at newmedio.com
Mon Dec 4 12:16:30 MST 2006

I got the 64-bit libspe working just fine.  I don't know for sure if it
works with full 64-bit addresses, but I was able to compile, link, and
run against it just fine.  I just did "rpmbuild -bb --target 64
libspe.spec".  Doing that also gave me the RPM for elfspe, which allows
you to run SPE programs directly through binfmt_misc.

As for the /proc entries, on IBM's system simulator, there is a whole
directory for each SPE in /proc/device-tree/cpus/PowerPC,BE at 0/spes with
each directory having the following files:
  - device_type
  - isrc
  - linux,phandle
  - local-store
  - name
  - priv1
  - priv2
  - problem
  - reg
  - unit-id

The device tree on the PS3 doesn't have any /proc entries that I could
find for the SPEs.  I had originally thought that these were required to
do things such as talk to SPE mailboxes, but further experimentation
proved that mailbox communication with libspe worked just fine without them.

Jon