[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

John Doe jdoe06 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 03:36:58 MST 2006

Surely you would have the SPEs render to the local XDR memory (which has
higher bandwidth than the VRAM). Or better still, perhaps, use tiling and
have the SPEs render into their local SRAM where there is huge bandwidth.
Once the frame was done it could then presumably be copied to VRAM for
output (if that is necessary).

Of course, the SPEs alone will never be as good as the GPU in the system.
But they could perhaps do a decent job..decent enough for homebrew games and
the like, in the short term. I think there's lots of interesting things that
could be done with software rendering on Cell, but in the context of a
traditional polygons/texturing pipeline, it'll probably be screamingly fast
at the former (transform/lighting), but relatively quite poor at the latter
(texturing).

I think the real question as to whether a port of OGL/Mesa or some other
software rendering solution would be worthwhile is how long we'll have to
wait for hardware acceleration. If it's only going to be a short time, it
may not be worth it (except for one's own education/curiousity)..although
it's arguable that it would still be useful even after that, for projects
which wanted to mix Cell and RSX rendering.