[ydl-gen] Display resolution on HD TVs?

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:31:11 MST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:21:53 -0500 "Bret Rowdon" <cmunsta at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > Is this to compensate for overscan on crt televisions?
> >
> > Surprised me as well.  If it is to compensate for overscan, it's a
> > bad idea.  Overscan not only varies from one CRT to the next
> > (including CRT TVs) it can be adjusted on some of them.  Overscan
> > can even change over time on the same TV.
> >
> > Indeed it is due to overscan. Unfortunately, even some models of
> > LCDs and
> Plasmas actually seem to enforce overscan even when there is no real
> reason to. Some people have complained that when they set YDL to use
> a full screen mode, the edges of the image get cropped off the screen.
>
> I think, though don't quote me on this, that this is caused by the LCD
> panels rescaling the image before displaying it.

LCD panels, when fed an analog signal (say PS3 component for instance)
still need to sync to that signal.  Hence the need for horizontal and
vertical adjustment controls.  Different resolutions sync differently,
so when switching resolutions, you often get a cropped picture until
you adjust it again.  This may be the cropping that some people
complain about.

Modern TV panels may enforce overscan, I've never seen it though.

I have no experience with plasmas.