[ydl-gen] Display resolution on HD TVs?

Bret Rowdon cmunsta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:21:53 MST 2006

> > > 480 refers to the resolution of the mode. It is slightly
> > > misleading, as the resolution you get will be slightly less
> > > vertical lines than the number would suggest. The equivalent
> > > resolutions in horizontal by vertical pixels is:
> > >
> > >     480  = 576 x 384
> > >     576  = [missing data]
> > >     720  = 1124 x 644
> > >     1080 = 1688 x 964
> > >

> > Is this to compensate for overscan on crt televisions?
>
> Surprised me as well.  If it is to compensate for overscan, it's a bad
> idea.  Overscan not only varies from one CRT to the next (including CRT
> TVs) it can be adjusted on some of them.  Overscan can even change over
> time on the same TV.
>
> Indeed it is due to overscan. Unfortunately, even some models of LCDs and
Plasmas actually seem to enforce overscan even when there is no real reason
to. Some people have complained that when they set YDL to use a full screen
mode, the edges of the image get cropped off the screen.

I think, though don't quote me on this, that this is caused by the LCD
panels rescaling the image before displaying it.