[ydl-gen] Display resolution on HD TVs?

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 08:38:34 MST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:24:55 +0000 drbob <drbob at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> Reading this page
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/video-config.shtml
> I was surprised to see that the actual screen resolution set by YDL
> is lower than one would expect for each display mode:
>
> > 480 refers to the resolution of the mode. It is slightly
> > misleading, as the resolution you get will be slightly less
> > vertical lines than the number would suggest. The equivalent
> > resolutions in horizontal by vertical pixels is:
> >
> > 	480  = 576 x 384
> > 	576  = [missing data]
> > 	720  = 1124 x 644
> > 	1080 = 1688 x 964
> >

> Is this to compensate for overscan on crt televisions?

Surprised me as well.  If it is to compensate for overscan, it's a bad
idea.  Overscan not only varies from one CRT to the next (including CRT
TVs) it can be adjusted on some of them.  Overscan can even change over
time on the same TV.

On any TV I own, I often adjust it so that I can see the overscan area,
it's amazing what people try to hide there.  B-)