[ydl-gen] Display resolution on HD TVs?

drbob drbob at gmx.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 08:24:55 MST 2006

Reading this page
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/video-config.shtml
I was surprised to see that the actual screen resolution set by YDL is
lower than one would expect for each display mode:

> 480 refers to the resolution of the mode. It is slightly misleading, as the resolution you get will be slightly less vertical lines than the number would suggest. The equivalent resolutions in horizontal by vertical pixels is:
>
> 	480  = 576 x 384
> 	576  = [missing data]
> 	720  = 1124 x 644
> 	1080 = 1688 x 964

Is this to compensate for overscan on crt televisions? Glancing at the
source code for the frame buffer driver
(http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/cbe-oss-dev/patch?id=8390) it looks like
video modes which use the full screen resolution with no margins are
supported (I'm not a programmer though so please say if I'm wrong about
this)

> +#define PS3FB_RES_FULL 1
> +const struct ps3fb_res_table ps3fb_res[] = {
> +	/* res_x,y   margin_x,y  full */
> +	{  720,  480,  72,  48 , 0},
> +	{  720,  576,  72,  58 , 0},
> +	{ 1280,  720,  78,  38 , 0},
> +	{ 1920, 1080, 116,  58 , 0},
> +	/* full mode */
> +	{  720,  480,   0,   0 , PS3FB_RES_FULL},
> +	{  720,  576,   0,   0 , PS3FB_RES_FULL},
> +	{ 1280,  720,   0,   0 , PS3FB_RES_FULL},
> +	{ 1920, 1080,   0,   0 , PS3FB_RES_FULL},
> +	/* vesa: normally full mode */
> +	{ 1280,  768,   0,   0 , 0},
> +	{ 1280, 1024,   0,   0 , 0},
> +	{ 1920, 1200,   0,   0 , 0},

So why can't they be set by the end user? I would have though that many
people have LCD or Plasma wide-screen HD displays which afaik don't
overscan the displayed image.