[ydl-gen] Gnustep in YDL

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Dec 11 22:02:35 MST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:32:20 -0800
Warren Nagourney <warren at phys.washington.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to install GNUstep in my YDL 4.1 system on a Powerbook G4.
> I am in RPM never-never-land, with endless unmet dependencies. Does
> anyone have a suggestion about how to do this with less pain? Thanks!

Hi Warren:

I'm running FC5 on a PowerPC.  I can't say that gnustep is available for
YDL 4.1; I just don't know.  Here's how you can find out:

# yum search "*gnustep*"
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
core                                                                 [1/3]
extras                                                               [2/3]
updates                                                              [3/3]

gnustep-make.ppc                         1.12.0-5.fc5           extras
Matched from:
gnustep-make
GNUstep makefile package
http://www.gnustep.org/
#

Of course, if you are told by yum that gnustep is available within the YDL
4.1 repositories then that is what you use.  Of course, the next step is
obvious; just do:

# yum install "*gnustep*"

Yum will go and sort out all the required dependencies for you and install
everything into where it should go.

Generally, Warren, yum is used for installing nearly everything (as it is
better at sorting and getting dependencies faster than humans).  rpm is
better to remove a package or application and just those dependencies
related to that one package you wish removed.