[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0 Kernel Questions

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 08:48:26 MST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:38:43 -0800 (PST) Da Meatster
<dameatster at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to compiile a driver from source that has
> the following requirements:
>
> CONFIG_HOTPLUG - Support for hot-pluggable devices
> CONFIG_MODULES - Enable loadable module support
> CONFIG_KMOD - Automatic kernel module loading
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER - Hotplug firmware loading support
> CONFIG_I2C - I2C support
> CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV - Video For Linux
> CONFIG_SOUND - Sound card support
> CONFIG_SND - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
> CONFIG_USB - Support for Host-side USB
> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS - USB device filesystem
> CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD - EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
>
> Additionally, to use the example application, the
> following options need to
> be enabled in the ALSA section:
>
> CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS - OSS Mixer API
> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS - OSS PCM (digital audio) API
>
> The readme says these can be compiled as built-in or
> modules. Various other googled pages state that
> certain options MUST be built-in and others MUST be
> modules. My question is, how do I find out if all of
> these options are enabled in the YDL 5.0 kernel, which
> are built-in and which are modules?
>
> I know that I might need to rebuild the kernel to get
> some options built-in. Is there any place this process
> for YDL 5.0? I'm a total linux newbie and all I want
> is to get MythTV installed an running on my PS3. I've
> been reading articles, and all of them describe a
> different way to do this for each disto, none for YDL
> 5.0. I'm just looking for one for YDL 5.0. Can anyone
> direct me to one or outline the steps I need to take
> in a way that's not impossible to follow?

These are really big steps for a Linux newbie to be taking.  Rebuilding
your kernel could be very dangerous if you don't know what you are
doing.  I suggest you get some help from a local Linux geek that can sit
down with you and take you through the process.