[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0 Kernel Questions

Da Meatster dameatster at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 09:24:31 MST 2006

Believe me, if I knew a local linux geek, I would have
paid them to do what I wanted already because I've
been trying to get this to work for about a week now.
While I'm a total linux newbie, I've been a windows
programmer for the last 11 years so I'm not really new
to the concept of compiling my own code.

My goal is to get the PS3 to be either a MythTV combo
frontend/backend (primary goal) or just a frontend. I
realize that the frontend is most likely where I'll
end up (which would negate the need for this driver to
be installed) but I'd still like to see if/how it
would perform as a combo mythbox.

And since this is my ONLY intended use for the PS3
with respect to linux right now, I really don't mind
starting over if I mess something up and have to
reinstall. I've already done this about a half dozen
times...

I suspect that I'm not the only one around trying to
setup myth on the PS3 and since this driver is for the
best option in terms of video capture via USB for
Myth, there will probably be others asking the same
question. The driver is for the Plextor PX-M402U
($49.99 for hardware MPEG-4 capture from
tigerdirect.com)

Besides, the best way to learn is by tinkering:-)

That said, can anyone tell me how to find out if all
of these options are enabled in the YDL 5.0 kernel,
which are built-in and which are modules and how to
change this?

I'm actually surprised that there isn't already a
How-To on the TerraSoft site on how to recompile the
kernel. Considering how fluid linux development is, I
would think recompiling the kernel with new features
would be something more common and the process more
streamlined that it actually is.

site:terrasoftsolutions.com'