[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0 Kernel Questions

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 09:42:57 MST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:24:31 -0800 (PST) Da Meatster
<dameatster at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Believe me, if I knew a local linux geek, I would have
> paid them to do what I wanted already because I've
> been trying to get this to work for about a week now.
> While I'm a total linux newbie, I've been a windows
> programmer for the last 11 years so I'm not really new
> to the concept of compiling my own code.
>
> My goal is to get the PS3 to be either a MythTV combo
> frontend/backend (primary goal) or just a frontend. I
> realize that the frontend is most likely where I'll
> end up (which would negate the need for this driver to
> be installed) but I'd still like to see if/how it
> would perform as a combo mythbox.
>
> And since this is my ONLY intended use for the PS3
> with respect to linux right now, I really don't mind
> starting over if I mess something up and have to
> reinstall. I've already done this about a half dozen
> times...

Just had to get the preliminaries out of the way and warn others that
this is something that can seriously mess the system if you get it
wrong.

> That said, can anyone tell me how to find out if all
> of these options are enabled in the YDL 5.0 kernel,
> which are built-in and which are modules and how to
> change this?

Linux kernels can generate a replica of the config file used to compile
that kernel in the first place, and it is often in the same directory
as the kernel used to boot.  Keep in mind that I do not have a YDL here
for referral, so these are just some generic instructions.

The first thing I would look for is the directory where the boot kernel
is, usually /boot.  In this directory you will find one or more kernels
at least.  Kernels are often named vmlinuz-some_version, or
vmlinux-some_version.  The matching config file will be called
config-some_version.  In there is all the CONFIG_* values you want to
know about.

If that is of no help, you can read the kernel documentation from the
source package (README) about "make oldconfig" which should extract the
config info from your current kernel ready for you to tweak it and
recompile it.  You can grab this from the YDL.net server, it will be
called kernel-some_version.src.rpm.  There are several options for how
to configure the kernel, and instructions on how to build that kernel
in that README.

Good luck.  Document what works for you so that others can follow in
your foot steps.