[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0 Kernel Questions

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 19 03:41:05 MST 2006

Assuming you put kernel-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.2.src.rpm in
/usr/src/yellowdog/SRPMS, and then did:

	cd /usr/src/yellowdog
	rpm -i SRPMS/kernel-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.2.src.rpm

The next step would be to do:

	rpmbuild -bb SPEC/kernel-2.6.spec

which would then hopefully build a kernel-source RPM in
RPMS/ppc64 (or maybe RPMS/ppc64ps3 or similar).

If that worked you would then install the kernel-source RPM
(using "rpm -i"), but this might not work, as TSS doesn't
have a kernel-source RPM out there for that particular kernel,
so there might be a reason for that (if they did you could
just grab that kernel source RPM and install it directly).

If you can get the kernel sources built, then just:

	cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.2

and build a kernel as usual, starting with:

	make menuconfig

I would probably first try building the I2C and V4L stuff as
modules, as then you don't have to actually mess with the currently
running kernel (you can just modprobe whatever new I2C and V4L
modules are required - consult the menuconfig help for the
module names).

Hopefully this can get you started.

						-Bill