[ydl-gen] Benchmarks of code on G5, G5/altivec, x86, PS3/CELL

Rob Sanders rarob at comcast.net
Thu Dec 21 20:21:00 MST 2006

Hey folks,
   I was talking with Kai a couple of days ago and he recommended taking
this question
to the YDL list, so here it is...
   Has anyone done (or know a good link for) some performance
comparisons of the PS3/Cell
to "current" top performers in the PPC and x86 arenas?  Even something
relatively "trivial"
such as multiplying 2 "large" arrays of floating point numbers.
Ideally processors like
say a G5 without using altivec, a G5 with altivec, a recent Xeon or AMD
with and without SSE[234], and
  the Cell?
   I know just enough to be considered dangerous about vector
programming, and I'm trying (in my
"copious" spare time after family and daytime job) to boot strap myself
on how to work the CELL....

											Rob